N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes


Use this form if you are a lawful permanent resident who must leave the United States for a period of one year or longer for certain employment purposes and you want to preserve your status as an immigrant in order to pursue naturalization.

“Certain employment purposes” includes working for:

  • The U.S. government.
  • An entity that is currently recognized by USCIS as an American institution of research.
  • An American firm or corporation (or a subsidiary of that firm or corporation) where you engage in developing the foreign trade and commerce of the United States.
  • An American firm or corporation engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, where you protect the property rights outside the United States of that American firm or corporation.
  • A public international organization of which the United States is a member by treaty or statute.
  • A denomination or mission that has a bona fide organization in the United States in which you perform ministerial or priestly functions or your sole role is a clergyman or clergywoman, missionary, brother, nun, or sister.

Note: If you are eligible for naturalization under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) because you are married to a U.S. citizen working for certain organizations overseas, you are exempt from establishing the naturalization residency and physical presence requirements. Therefore, you are not required to file Form N-470. Please visit uscis.gov/n-400 for more information on applying for naturalization under section 319(b) of the INA.

Information for Indian tourists travelling by land:- 72 hours (-) C-19 report, CCMC form and Antigen Test at entry point